JLM & Associates offers personal development counseling to help you take control of your personal and business success. Learn how to seize the kind of income you deserve and achieve the successful future of your dreams.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Check Your Ego With Your Luggage

I recently returned from a two week trip overseas where I was in Australia, Japan, and in Eastern Europe giving seminars. I met someone at the Sydney International Airport that has stuck with me like a sore thumb and I had to tell you about it.

I had a wonderful experience for the three days I spent in Sydney and had met some really great people but then at the airport it all changed. I was waiting for my flight and doing some reading as always do when a man by the name of Robert sat down beside me and immediately interrupted my reading.

I'd guess Robert was in his late 50's or early 60's, and his obviously expensive jewelry blended nicely with his deep tan. He introduced himself and immediately said, "I've been here for three weeks and now I'm on my way to the Caribbean where I'll spend at lest five more weeks." He told me that he owned a villa in Sidney and two more in the Caribbean Islands. He went on to tell me how much each of his properties had appreciated in value since he originally purchased them.

As I listened to Robert, my thoughts went to how bankrupt this guy actually was due to his oversized ego and he didn't even know it.

As I continued to listen to this obviously successful businessman continue to elaborate on his wonderful life, I wondered why he had the desire to communicate all these private details to me, a person who he had just met. No doubt, the process of his personal bankruptcy was well on its way. I could tell by listening to him that his overblown ego had chased away the important people in his life. He had been reduced to boasting to new acquaintances.

I can imagine that personal non-financial bankruptcy must be an awful process to endure. A person like Robert could explain it as an opportunity for financially troubled people and companies to reorganize themselves, but it really means failure. People and companies fail sometimes, no matter how much money they have. It's a fact of life.

Truly successful people learn from their mistakes and turn their situation around. Unfortunately, when failing causes your ego to go out of control, then it is worst kind of failure, because it should never be allowed to happen. It's always controllable.

The problem is that people who are in the process of going into personal bankruptcy usually don't have a clue as to what the problem is. They so enjoy talking about themselves that they cannot see the damage they are causing to themselves.

There is a simple rule that people should follow when they feel that their ego is going out of control: "If you are as good as you think you are, there is no reason to tell others about it. They will find out from your admirers who will proudly sing your praises for you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home